Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Happy birthday, Devil Dogs!

Today is the 235th birthday of the United States Marine Corps. To let me help celebrate, M loaned me his Marine "utility cover." Clothing of any type usually isn't my thing, but this was a reasonable exception. I think I cut quite a dashing figure:


M says this picture is very appropriate for today's blog post. That's because after the World War I Battle of Belleau Wood, the German soldiers called the Marines they were fighting Teufelhunden, which is pronounced "toy'-ful hoon'-den" and means "Devil Dogs." He also says that to this day Marines like that nickname a lot better than the usual alternatives of "leathernecks" and "jarheads."

We took some other poses while we were at it. Here's one I call I'm too sexy for my hat, too sexy . . .


Of course, it might be even sexier if we cock it down over one eye:


Oops--who turned out the lights?


Anyway, let me get back on message and tell proud Marines and their families everywhere, "Happy birthday and Semper Fi . . . and a great big Ooh-rah!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

T-o-o-o Cute !

Anonymous said...

Buddy, you handsome "Devil." I'm proud of you for (apparently) sitting so patiently for your photo session. It seems that you have bonded nicely with your people, and that's very good because you have probably had enough of the alternative lifestyle. We're glad you're home.

Love, Grandma Grace