Thursday, April 28, 2011

It's about time.

Some people think dogs have no concept of time because we waste so much of it sleeping. But they're wrong. Whenever we sniff the ground, we know that we're delving into the past. And when we sniff the air, we're sensing things about the future. And when we snooze--always in the glorious present--we're digesting the data.

When I presented this thesis to M on our walk this morning, he said that I must be more of a historian than a forecaster, since I spend so much time with my nose in the grass. He says it looks like I'm trying to push it around the block--either that or I'm rooting for truffles.

Speaking of truffles, I've heard that dogs have replaced pigs as the preferred truffle-hunting helpers, for several reasons. Two main ones are (1) that dogs can be trained not to eat the truffles and (2) it's easier to get a dog into the backseat of your car.

But I digress. It must be nap time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't know a thing about truffles, but I'm an expert on nap time: any time you can grab a few ZZZ's, right?

Yeah, nap time!

Love, Grandma