Monday, January 3, 2011

A New Year's Resolution for the Rich

One of my loyal followers sent me a recent blog post by a man named Sam Harris. It's pretty thought-provoking, though I'll admit that it's a bit lengthy and obviously not written for dogs. (I had M read it in detail and then give me what he calls the executive summary.) As one whose current good fortune depended on pure luck and human kindness, I think this piece has some great ideas in it about self-reliance and sacrifice. There's a link to it below. I hope you will read it and pass it along to your friends, even if you aren't a billionaire--but especially if you are.

A New Year's Resolution for the Rich

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Buddy,
Although some of your faithful followers might disagree with or condemn Mr. Harris’s views on organized religion and other controversial issues, few should find fault with points made in this piece.

“… the ruination of the United States really does seem possible.” Tragically, many of those who have reaped the highest benefits from living in this “once great country” are those with political and/or financial power who refuse to see or acknowledge that, at the very least, the down-hill spiral in the quality of and opportunities for education must be stopped. As Harris suggests – “a 21st Century Renaissance.” Thanks for the link !

Anonymous said...

I saw the email piece. You're lucky to have M to summarize it. M should be a freelance reporter!

On the religion I'm reading "The New Great Story" by Don Cupitt, a British philosopher'

Dave D.