Thursday, July 22, 2010

You want fries with that?

Yesterday was Wednesday, so our friends Bonnie and Judy came over and took M and me to McDonald's to pick up our weekly burger feast. When we got home with the goodies, J mixed one of my hamburgers in with my regular supper, as usual, and we saved my other one for tonight. After I cleaned my dish, I had a Milk Bone for dessert but still felt a little hungry spot. I could hear M and J and our guests talking as they always do about how weird it was for me not to like French fries, and how I'm the only dog they know that won't eat a fry, and yadda-yadda-yadda, and I thought what the heck--maybe I'll give 'em a thrill and try one. So I walked up to Judy and wagged my tail a little, and sure enough, she offered me one. Here I am thinking about taking it:


You can imagine everyone's surprise when did I take it. But I couldn't bring myself to bolt it right down. Instead I turned and headed for the living room with that spud dangling from my lips like a greasy yellow cigarette. When I got there I still couldn't swallow it. I didn't even want to sink my teeth into it. It might have helped if I had opposable thumbs and could hold my nose, but I don't, so that wasn't an option. I ended up leaving the fry on the carpet.

When I came back to the kitchen table, everyone made such a big deal of my taking it that I just let them think I ate it. Then Judy offered me another and I was in such a people-pleasing mode that I took it without thinking. This time I went into J's office, where I have a spare bed. I dropped the fry on the bed and lay down beside it. I was starting to wish I'd politely declined this French fry and the first one, too, when M came in and snapped a picture of me still not liking the dumb things.


Oh, well, you can't please all of the people all of the time.

4 comments:

The Big Cat said...

If only I had been there — I would have eaten that fry for you!

My house-mate Molly won't eat bread or potatoes — or vegetables. I though dogs ate just about everything.

Oh well.

Your friend, Shamu

Anonymous said...

I would have thought that your life on the run would have conditioned you to eat anything that didn't eat you first. Guess everyone is entitled to their likes and dislikes though, so stick to your guns, Buddy. If you don't want it, just say "no!"

Love, Grandma Grace

Jenny McDonald Boyd said...

I loooooove McDonald's fries. You're probably grossed out by them, cause you've seen the movie Super-Size Me, right?

judy said...

Hi Buddy, Didn't know you would write about our french fry test. Thank you for being so polite about it. I still love you, my gentle giant. :) JUDY